Skip to content Skip to footer

Advice about Eating Disorders you wish you received

Community News Forums Caregiver Advice about Eating Disorders you wish you received

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    User Avatartherapybills
    Keymaster

I was wondering if you have any advice you wish you knew about being a parent or caregiver to someone with an eating disorder.

User AvatarCarlice
    Participant

When I found out that my 13-year-old daughter had an eating disorder, I regretted not having been aware earlier. I also felt a tremendous amount of guilt. What did I do wrong, etc.? But looking back three years (she is still on her recovery journey), I realize that nothing prepares you for the challenges of supporting your child with an eating disorder or the length of time it will take for full recovery. In the beginning stages, you should only focus on getting the needed help quickly.
    The one thing I would have liked to have done differently would have been to get as informed about the illness as quickly as possible because it would have allowed me to be a more effective advocate for her. Often, people don’t understand the severe dangers associated with eating disorders, not even healthcare professionals and general therapists. Eating disorders are mental health issues, but because food is the controlling factor, they’re often treated with little urgency outside of specialty health providers and recovery programs.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.